Jesus came to change everything that was lost in the fall of man! God’s plan was to revive the spirit of man so that he would be able to be in a relationship with God again, and to rule over the old and sinful nature. (Rom. 5:17, 1 Cor. 15:22, 2 Cor. 5:16-18)
Through Jesus, it became possible to live everyday life and special celebrations having “been rescued from our enemies so we can serve God without fear, in holiness and righteousness for as long as we live.”
Luke 1:74-75 NLT
We are called to live in a relationship with God through the Holy Spirit, NOT to live in religion!
- speaks of God in distant terms, doesn’t know Him through a personal relationship. There is no genuine connection/intimacy or ability to hear Him
- needs different rituals for a person to approach God, striving to gain God’s approval
- has people living in constant fear, guilt, unworthiness
- is full of rules and demands, and an inability to attain perfection and holiness
- doesn’t bring about the knowledge of God or a life according to the will of God
You grow only through having a close relationship with God.
Jesus showed us the model of a TRUE man who lives in a constant working relationship with God the Father! (John 17:21; 8:29; 10:25, 38)
How do you grow spiritually?
“Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.”
Ephesians 4:24 NLT
You became a spiritual person when you received and believed the Word. You have been called to walk in it.
A spiritual person:
- has drunk from the source of the water of life (the Holy Spirit) and drinks constantly
- has fed himself with the Word
- is saturated with the love of God and remains in love
- not only knows the things and Word of God, but also knows the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit
- is able to convey the light and glory of God (2 Cor. 4:6)
- Remain in the love you were invited to!
Growth takes place in living in God’s love, out of acceptance, and from God’s favour.
I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.
John 15:9-10 NLT
- Staying in the Word will help you stay in God’s love and expose yourself to the speech of God.
(1 Pet. 1:22, 2 Pet. 1:12, Eph. 5:26, Rom. 12:2, Col, 2:6-7)
- Jesus is the living Word of God – have a conversation with him continuously. God raises us up by speaking to us, through His Word and His Holy Spirit.
- Listen, believe and speak the Word. No one else will take care of your relationship except you. You are responsible for your spiritual growth.
- You purify your soul by opening yourself to the truth and acting according to it, strengthening the spirit man.
- Church fellowship is for you! The Spirit of God works in the midst of the church because it is the body of Christ
- God has given ministries, through which He also speaks by His Holy Spirit
The Word is a mirror. By looking at it, you will see yourself right (James 1:23, 2 Cor. 13:5)
- What am I in Christ?
- Where am I already at in Christ?
- What do I own in Christ?
- What can I do in Christ?
So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.
2 Corinthians 3:18 NLT
- Learn to live and walk with the Spirit of God daily, that you may come to the full knowledge of His will.
Pray this over yourself:
…We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better. We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light. For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son.
Colossians 1:9-13 NLT