Foundation Scripture: Ephesians 5:18
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit. Ephesians 5:18 KJV
1. When we are filled with the Holy Spirit, He brings us into a greater revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ
- The Holy Spirit is the way to the Father.
- He is the way from the Father to us.
- He is like an Artist—He paints Jesus upon the canvas of life and makes Jesus real to us.
- The more we are filled the more we recognize and depend upon Jesus.
- The Holy Spirit brings us into a life of personal union with and constant dependence upon the Lord Jesus Christ.
N.B. To be filled with the Spirit is to be filled
2. The Holy Spirit cuts us off from the life of self and sin and brings us into a life of holiness, righteousness, and obedience.
- Exodus 40:34-35 AMP – Then the cloud [the Shekinah, God’s visible presence] covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle! 35 And Moses was not able to enter the Tent of Meeting because the cloud remained upon it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.
- This is the picture of a Spirit-filled man—full of God’s glory—leaving no room for the flesh.
3. The Holy Spirit brings us into joy and fullness of joy.
- John 15:11 KJV – These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
- John 17:13 KJV – And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
- After Jesus had spoken of the promise of the Spirit and that we should abide in the Vine (in Him), He told of the joy that would follow. He said, “My joy will remain in you and your joy will be full.”
- The fullness of joy wipes out the pain, doubt, fear and sorrow.
4. There will be a release of the Fruit of the Spirit from the heart of the Spirit-filled man and woman.
- Galatians 5:1-26 NKJV – Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love. 7 You ran well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? 8 This persuasion does not come from Him who calls you. 9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump. 10 I have confidence in you, in the Lord, that you will have no other mind; but he who troubles you shall bear his judgment, whoever he is. 11 And I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why do I still suffer persecution? Then the offense of the cross has ceased. 12 I could wish that those who trouble you would even cut themselves off! 13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another! 16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
- The fruit of the Spirit springs spontaneously from the fullness of the Holy Spirit, in your spirit, working in and affecting spirit, soul, and body.
- When your life is full of God your life will be full of godliness.
5. When you are full of the Holy Spirit, there will be an outflow of the Spirit of God—a tangible presence—affecting every area of your life.
- Speech – Ephesians 5:18b-19 KJV – Be filled with the Spirit; 19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.
- Actions – you are made a blessing unto many.
- Circumstances – everything God’s presence touches is set in order.